Park de Kieviet, a park to be lived in

 

The then modern concept of the garden-city was the inspiration for the initial plans for De Kieviet done at the beginning of the last century. A residential area outside the busy and, above all, dirty city where space, quiet and clean air could be found.

As the creator of the plan, Johan Mutters optimally used the natural environment present and made the pond the central element. He designed curved lanes, created squares and public gardens of different shapes and sizes and thus created a park wherein the buildings could grow in great diversity.

When the ideals of clean living and fresh air became popular in the early twentieth century, Johan Mutters’ plan of a park in which residents could live in peace and quiet became exactly what people desired.  

Mutters paid a lot of attention to the design of the bridges, balustrades and terraces with inbuilt seating. If a person had enough of the ducks in the pond, he or she could carry on strolling along the many paved walks passing by the leafy lanes and rest on the benches in the rose-garden, under the pergola covered with roses in bloom. Later, in 1937, the residents erected a monument to Queen Emma there. Prof. O. L. Wenckebach sculpted the statue from limestone.

The absence of shops didn’t bother any of the residents. Suppliers came to your door, either by horse-drawn cart or with a delivery bike. However, some thought was put into the connection with neighbouring The Hague as is evidenced by an old advertisement: 1923 saw the arrival of a yellow tram.

To allow the park to grow more services were needed. In 1922 Mutters designed the Kievietschool, a distinctive building with its thatched roof and little tower. A tea garden was situated in the former entrance building of the Groot Haesebroek estate. It moved across the road after the first wave of developments where, following a turbulent history of building, fire and rebuilding, it turned into the current location of Auberge de Kieviet.

The Kievietkerk, designed by the Dutch Protestant Church, also still functions.

 

From: “Een Eeuw Park de Kieviet” ( A century Park de Kieviet), published by Residents association De Kieviet/2010.



The history of Park de Kieviet
  
 
 
The first tea garden De Kieviet in 1915                                
 






 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The first villa in the Kieviet, located at the Duinweg, Villa "Ebby" (1912), ca. 1920


Further info: From: “100 jaar Park de Kieviet”


Oldest plan of Park de Kieviet, 1910-11




















 

De Kieviet garage (Mutters, 1915) demolished in April 1990.





Kievietschool (Mutters, 1922), in 1935

The then almost untouched Kievietsduin, 1929


Villa "Berkenhof" (1915), residence of Mutters